How to remove/change the serial console password

Frequently Asked Questions
Peter

How to remove/change the serial console password

Post by Peter » 18 Apr 2018, 14:49

This FAQ applies to:
  • cOS Core version 9 and up.
Question:

I have a serial console password set on one of my Firewalls but i have forgotten the password, what can i do? What are my options?

Answer:

There are several ways to remove the serial console password but depending on the situation not all may be applicable.

1. Use InControl to change the Serial Console password. Since InControl is using NetCon to connect and to authenticate to the Firewall this is possible to do without first entering the old password. See below image for the location of the option in InControl:
SetConsolePassword.png
SetConsolePassword.png (12.1 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
2. Reset the unit to factory default using either SSH, WebUI or InControl
  • Note-1: A configuration reset does NOT remove the serial console password.
    Note-2: This means the removal of the configuration, unless you have a saved backup from earlier it means that all data/configurations on the Firewall would be lost.
3. On some appliance models there is a Factory reset button that can be used to reset the unit to factory default, this would remove the serial console as well.
  • Note: This means the removal of the configuration, unless you have a saved backup from earlier it means that all data/configurations on the Firewall would be lost.
4. Send in the unit to Clavister to perform password removal. Please note that this is not covered by the RMA/Hardware replacement so there will be a cost involved.