Team interfaces on SG á la LACP for true HA?

Security Gateway Discussions
jensp

Team interfaces on SG á la LACP for true HA?

Post by jensp » 31 Oct 2009, 21:53

Two Clavister boxes in HA, sure. But when one interface fails, it doesn't help. Yes, this happened to me with a SG50-series box. I cannot figure out how to get around this.

Is it possible to team interfaces on the SG box and get something like the attached?

How is everyone else doing this? I'm all alone here and have probably missed out of something, making things more complicated than they have to be.
Attachments
Redundant.jpg
Redundant.jpg (42.63 KiB) Viewed 5957 times

mattias
Beta Tester

Re: Team interfaces on SG á la LACP for true HA?

Post by mattias » 02 Nov 2009, 16:42

One solution (especially on a SG50 where you are limited on number of interfaces) is to use Linkmon, i.e. you ping a certain number of hosts on an interface, and if fewer then a configured number answers it consider that interface broken and will fail over to the other node. (This node will not fail back even if the same hosts are down when it's Linkmon kicks in)

jensp

Post by jensp » 02 Nov 2009, 17:37

Thanks! That's really interesting.

Are there any other options if I upgrade to SG3200-series?

mattias
Beta Tester

Post by mattias » 05 Nov 2009, 08:23

It might in theory be possible to do something with Spanning Tree, as Clavister does not support LACP or any other kind of trunking. Setup two interface as "SwicthRoute" and relay STP-packets, the switch should then shut down one of the ports as it sees a loop. If the working interface goes down, it should in theory bring up the other interface in the switch.

I seem to remember that I tested and verified this a few years ago, but my memory is fussy on how good, if at all, it worked.

Vvujasinovic

Post by Vvujasinovic » 07 Nov 2013, 21:17

Is there any way to bond or team interfaces to expand available bandwidth ( 1 +1 =2 gbit ) and achieve HA, instead of just HA ... at this time?

Thanks

Peter

Post by Peter » 12 Nov 2013, 13:53

Hello.

In current version (10.11.xx) you cannot interface team, but you can use Route Load Balancing to distribute traffic load between two or more interfaces.

But in version 10.20.00 (no exact release date at this time, but hopefully within 1 month) we have added support for Interface Teaming / Link Aggregation.

Best regards
/Peter